Friday, November 19, 2004

Cables, Cables, Cables

I had a bit more time to play with the Topfield last night and I discovered why they sell those things to mark your cables with colours. Although I've tried to keep the cables at the back in a fairly neat state, however as I've tried to keep with all the same branding cable for all my interconnects it is sometimes a little hard to tell which lead goes to which component. In my haste to hook up the new STB (and not having a spare Optical Digital cable handy) I stole one of the leads from the other components. Over the last few days I've been trying to get the digital audio working with absolutely no success... in a moment of brilliance I thought "I'll just double check that I swapped the right lead", sure enough I'd stolen the MD's Lead at one end and reseated the DVD end at the other. Serves me right for trying to do things in a hurry without moving the stand. I think I might picking up one of those colour coders on the weekend :$

On a brighter note however I did stumble across a converter to split a SCART sockets into RGB (or component) RCA sockets.


Made by Crest the PS3 is "Suitable for converting from RGB RCA connection to SCART connection or vice versa". The unit is from their PLATINUM A/V LEADS range so the quality should be sufficient.


Turns out Crest aren't alone in this pursuit Dick Smith Electronics also have a similar product although marked for Component.

No comments: