Monday, September 19, 2005

Viva la Revolution!

Possibly one of the biggest annoucements in the marketing for the next-gen consoles happened on Friday. Satoru Iwata, president of Nintendo, unveiled the mysterious controller for the Nintendo Revolution. I must admit I was a bit confused by the images when I first saw them. Fortunately the video released showing people using the controller in different genres managed to clear it up. Now I can't wait for it to get here! The most exciting scenes from the video have to be people using the controller like a sword (presumably in a Zelda Title) and as a gun (in a Metroid style game). To use a long forgotten gaming term, it's like bringing basic Virtual Reality to the home console market (without the helmet). However it does remind me a fair bit of Mattel's run at this kind controller the PowerGlove, another innovation for a Nintendo Game system.
However, the choice of design for this new controller being so close to a remote control, which will make it much more accessible to the general market. Obviously it will ultimately be how this integrates with games that will determine the success of the system. Personally it holds much more excitement for me than just be bigger/faster next-gens from Sony and Microsoft. (but then again I've always been a Nintendo fan!)

No comments: