Sunday, August 07, 2005

Time for a Merc Upgrade (Part 1)

My Dad (who've I suggested should start a blog on his car work but hasn't) owns a 1972 Mercedes SL350. He's taken it on as a bit of a hobby as a 'do up'/weekend drive car.

As you can see from the photo though there isn't a whole lot of work that needs to be done on the car, so it's not that much of a 'do up', but hey it looks pretty good.
Dad, who is used to inheriting my old stereo cast offs, recently got my old Clarion Stereo (that used to be in my car before I went to MD). The old Becker radio was really past it's prime and as someone had already updated the stereo Dad saw no crime in bringing it a little further into the future. So much of my Saturday was spent wiring in the new speakers and head unit.


The wiring was a bit of a nightmare, lots of electrical tape and the person who did the last install must have had a loom of green wire lying around because just about every wire was in green. (The most amusing part was when the Positive and Ground wire were green)
The last few cars I've had to work on have been fairly recent models and I'd forgotten how much of a joy it is to wire something in an old car. Pleanty of space to run cables through and mounting points galore!
Dad decided to go with some German (which are made in China) Blaupunkt speakers to replace the slightly wet and very old pioneer ones in the back. Only a slight change to the mounting for the speakers at the back with the addition of a spacer and we were in business.


So after a few hours work we managed to get the new Front four inch speakers and the six and a half inch speakers in the rear, rewire the dash and mount the head unit, with virtually no impact on the car at all.

Next of the list is mounting the Stacker and the Graphic equaliser (which I've already sussed out removing the glove box for those two)

No comments: