Wednesday, February 02, 2005

PVR hits its prime

It's been quite a few months since I managed to get my Topfield PVR5000t at a bargain basement price and I'll be the first to admit it didn't exactly 'Change the way I would watch TV forever'. However now that ratings period has come around again it has started to come into its own.
During the holidays the only real differences that I noticed over my last STB was the better picture quality and the upgrade to dolby digital. With most shows on repeat the only time the PVR side came in useful was the occasional pausing or rewinding of a program.
Usually the start of a new series would result in me missing the first few vital episodes while I was at rehearsal or indoor. Trying to get into show later on (usually after battering from friends or workmates "have you seen , it's great you've got to watch it") would result in confusion on 'who's that?', 'why are they?' and giving up on catching up.

Finally that has all begun to change. After the ads for 'Desperate Housewives' I added it to the Record list on the PVR a week and a half in advance. So after our last Handball game and watching my Cricket Team crush their opposition, I was able to come home and watch the opening episode in my own time.
So now I have the PVR setup to record the New Episodes of Cold Case, The Simpsons, CSI, CSI:Miami, CSI:New York, Lost, Desperate Housewives and Malcom in the Middle. No need to worry about being out or forgetting it's on.

I just have to rely on the Stations putting the show on within a 30min window of when they plan to but that's another story.

No comments: