Wednesday, December 12, 2007

113 minutes of my life I'm never getting back

Tonight I headed out to a see Beowulf, and you can probably can guess from the title... I wasn't terribly impressed. It was like sitting through a poorly acted play run by an animator theatre group played out by the Huminod characters from Shrek. The whole film is animated and in parts (especially close ups) the details are quite good, but the acting even with using advanced motion capture was quite stilted and unnatural. Some of the voice acting was just terrible as well, sounding more like a first run of lines than a finished motion picture.

It's been hailed as a great showcase of Digital films... but save your time/money and watch something from Pixar, you feel less like you needed a hero to come and save you from this demon of the cinema.

(For those who recommended it...you know who you are, youtube videos of WoW leveling guides have been more entertaining.)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

'An animator theatre group'
At first I thought that, in your frustration, you'd spelled amateur incorrectly, and then I realised that you were combining the ideas if bumbling amateurs with animation. Very good

Unknown said...

Easy mistake to make given the usual typos through-out :)

But thanks for the review, I was actually considering spending money to see it, now I won't.

Unknown said...

True... you could be forgiven for that... but really if I had to check for typos I'd never get time to blog

Anonymous said...

I have to apologise for "dragging" you through that film Cam, under good advise from a work college I trust (he will receive a beating tomorrow) to go see it I was disappointed with what I saw.

The story itself was strong enough and well paced, with a nice twist around the second-part of the traditional Beowulf story that tied all three-parts together nicely.

I think what failed to capture me was the animations, it was like watching Shrek but with all the bright colours (expect Gold) removed from the palette. It really suffered from the Uncanny Valley syndrome, and that, unfortunately, was it's major failing IMO.