Thursday, June 28, 2007

$1700 Problem Solved!

The other day, only after I'd already well and truly headed down the projector path, I realised that a lot of my planning for the upgrade to a projector had be done around the fact I would have already updated my amp. Obviously this hasn't happened or I would have been crowing about it for weeks here!

The issue with the plan was my cabling ideas hinged around running one HDMI cable to the projector as the loss over long distances is lower then Component and it's a much smaller cable to run. This of course relied on the Amplifier upscaling all of the inputs to HDMI. The amp that I would have upgraded to do this is the Yamaha RX-V1700, the model that replaces my current amp and includes full upscaling of all inputs to HDMI. This is where the $1700 problem came from. My budget for the projector upgrade didn't extend another $1700 to a new amp and without it there was going to be some cabling and switching sacrifices.

Fortunately with a bit of browsing I've discovered the GEFEN HDMI VIDEO SCALER. This unit allows me to feed 2 component and 2 HDMI inputs in and get one HDMI out!



This neat little box will remove the need to go to a new Amp and with the savings in getting the Epson over the Panasonic there is enough room in my budget to get this little $500 problem solver.

No comments: