Sunday, July 01, 2007

Technology glut!

Today (or yesterday as it's 12:30 already but as I haven't slept yet I'm still calling it today) resulted in a HUGE glut on technology. It was the combination of the end of the financial year and some preparation for our trip overseas in September. The first gadget off the rank was a new Video iPod. Despite Tom's protests on it's purpose :P it IS actually to record my accompaniments for singing. It will get a bit of use for playing music as the nano did but I've missed it for practise since the nano went missing. It's been charging since I brought it home and it's still covered with the plastic protector sleeves. It will probably see a flurry of music headed it's way tomorrow when I've got a bit more time at home.

The next (and certainly coolest) gadget for the day was my phone upgrade. I took the plunge and went for the Nokia 6110 Navigator and so far it's been fantastic. The GPS feature (one of the main reasons it was chosen) worked brilliantly out of the box. We even tested it with a navigation to Ben's soccer match at Bayside and it proved itself with flying colours, even when we asked for a detour via a petrol station. The integration of the GPS and navigation is a great feature (gimmick) on the phone and has been done seemlessly. Searching for locations is well handled and with standard phone text input addresses aren't too difficult to add. The web browsing has also impressed me with great zoom functions and (my favourite) the back button which gives you a mini page history of all the pages you've visited so you can select which one you want to go back to.

Last (but not least... although it did get the least use today) was a replacement for the camera I lost on a trip to Sydney. I wanted an SLR for the manual focus and zoom functions, but given my history of loosing cameras we stuck with another 'bridge' camera and got a Fuji Finepix s6500. It's basically the same model as the one I lost. Given we'll be travelling with it, it's not quite as bulky as an SLR and there won't be multiple lenses to take. It didn't make it out of the box (only for the fact I didn't have any batteries with me) today but will likely get it's first outing on our ballon ride (which was cancelled this morning because of high winds.

That's all the tech for today. I did start this blog post on the Nokia but it was so cold at the soccer match my fingers were getting sore typing. Stay tuned for the remaining tech in the glut... the Epson TW700...

No comments: