Wednesday, June 21, 2006

DS Gaming Impressions (part 1)

I discovered that I've converted a few people on gaming on the DS and thought that I should post up some of the experiences I've had with the games on the platform. After starting the list of games I realised that it was way too much for one post so I'll do it in stages.
It's nothing terrible insightful, just a rough enjoyment level I had with the game. Hopefully it will give some idea as to whether you should think about picking up the game or not.

New Super Mario Bros




This is classic Mario platforming like it used to be. Reminds me of the good old Super Mario World days on the SNES.
A great expansion on a classic theme, I've only played it for a few hours but it's going to be in my collection for a long time.
The minigames are a great addition and with multiplayer allow you to have portable version that is something along the lines of Mario Party.

Rating : Essential

Metroid Prime Hunters




This is my favourite game of the moment. It follows along the lines of the previous Metroid franchises and is basically a First Person Shooter (FPS) combined with an Adventure title.
Lots of puzzles to solve along the way and the Morph Ball mode is a bit of a change for the standard FPS.
The thing that has me hooked though is the multiplayer. I'm not normally a big fan of the genre but I can't stop playing it. The best description I can offer is a portable version of Counter Strike.
Nintendo Wifi allows you to play online including voice chat with the built in microphone with your friends

Rating: Highly recommended (Great FPS action)

Mario Kart DS




Again an improvement on a common Nintendo theme. The game essentially combines all the best elements of the previous Mario Kart Titles with some new Karts, new characters and Nintendo Wifi Compatibility. If you

A highly addictive racer and with Nintendo Wifi there is endless racing opportunities.

Rating : Highly recommended (Online Kart Racing Mahem)

Tetris DS




The classic gets the full Nintendo DS treatment.
What more is there to say, it's old school Tetris that you can play online and compete with players around the world via Nintendo Wifi

Rating: Highly recommended (Tetris with Friends Online)

Nintendogs




This is one title I could never get into. I had problems with the training and in the end become more of a frustration than fun. Many people rave about it but I never manage to keep it going for more than 10 mins.

Rating: Gimmicky (Cute and Cuddly, but frustrating)

Advance Wars Dual Strike




Think of it like a turn based version of Command and Conquer. At the base level it is a Turn based strategy game but with the added complexity of combining CO characters and building up their experience and prowess. This combination makes for a very deep and lengthy playing experience. I've already played for over 50 hours and there is plenty still to be done.

Rating: Highly Recommended (Deep Enjoyable Strategy)

Hasbro Games Pack


Combines Monopoly, Boggle, Battleship and Yatzee.4 classic board games that we all loved. On the DS however it is poorly implemented. Annoying controls, clunky multiplayer and poor graphics make this a very disappointing title.

Rating: Dissatisfying (Poorly Implemented)

Kirby Canvas Curse





A new twist on the classic platformer genre. Rather than controlling Kirby with the direction pad and a series of buttons Kirby is guided through each level with the aid of the Stylus. Painting trails on the screen guide Kirby though a series of obstacles. A surprisingly enjoyable platformer (that's hard to play on the bus)

Rating: Recommended(Fun, Addictive and invotative use of Touch Screen)

No comments: