Thursday, April 12, 2012

The Sportif is no more....

The sportif after its long commute

After it's epic commute back from the coast I noticed a lot of wheel rub on the old bike and I took it in for a service only to discover that the frame near the bottom bracket had rusted through and was causing the wheels to rub.

So for the last few weeks I've been looking for a replacement frame and pestering the life out of the people in my bunch ride on what to choose.

After much deliberation over a new leader/surly/colossi and various others I went for the vintage option and stopped in at Bicycle Revolution to see what they had. Turns out there were only one or two frames to choose from (as you can see from the photo below)
Having only a short time to browse I had a quick look through and pick one with a brand I recognised and without to much rust. I'm sure there were some vintage gems in there (saw an Oxford frame a couple of Peugeots and plenty of Apollo Jaguars) but I settled on a grey Avanti Monza.


The frame cost the princely sum of $70 and now it's just the task of rebuilding it with the Ultegra running gear and the American Classic wheels. I'm hoping it will be ready to take down south to the Arthurs Seat Ride later this month...

No comments: