Thursday, June 12, 2008

HD+ has landed....

Yesterday, after not much of a wait at all, my new Foxtel HD+ service was installed. The new HD Sport Services are great. It was a little bit of a let down though seeing an NRL match in HD on Foxsports to follow it up with SD for the origin but I'm sure Channel 9 will be on the bandwagon soon enough. ESPNHD is one of the best HD channels though... After origin I was watching the NBA playoffs just because the picture was so good. I would have to say that some of the HD Content even looks better than some of the HD/Bluray Disks I have.

The iQ2 is also a great little device. It has one of the best interfaces of a STB PVR that I've used. My favourite feature so far is the ability to pick up another channel to record without having to change channel you're watching. During the Origin we realised that I hadn't put in a reservation to record Spicks and Specks or The Gruen Transfer. I simply had to scroll to the ABC channel in the preview panel and hit the record button. The Series Link option for the recording looks like a great idea I'm yet to see it in action though so I can't really say how well it works.

I'm off to Sydney today (I know, just for something different) and I've set up quite a few things to record on the "Series Link" option (the idea being it will record all the entries of that show when ever they appear). So we'll see how well it works (although I did notice that the "Series Link" option isn't available for the Free to Air HD channels)

2 comments:

Amaya said...

a) I don't pick you for a sport person, it doesn't gel with my universe.
b) Series Link is awesome
c) Mikey won't let me get cable

Unknown said...

I thought series link would record every time it was on but it turns out it only records that show in that timeslot each week. I also got a tip that you should select "keep" as well on your series link for the ones you don't want deleted - especially for someone like you who isn't home all the time. May I suggest you set up a series link for Long Way Down - Brilliant show.

I too was lured by the sports channel and was extremely disappointed with the SD Origin. I spent part of my first day watching ice hockey even though I've never had any interest in it before. Everything not in HD now is such a disappointment. American Chopper looks great!

Oh, and don't forget to check out the on demand stuff.