Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Contemplating a new PVR

So it's probably not much of a surprise to anyone that I was contemplating an upgrade to my PVR at some stage. The Topfield PVR5000t has been great over the years but it's limited to SD and doesn't have HDMI support. The trouble with choosing a new PVR is finding something that has the same level of features as my old Topfield hasn't been easy. Yesterday, however, I got an email that made me rethink my strategy just a little.

Foxtel HD+ was launched yesterday to those who'd signed up at their site and I got an email outlining the pricing plan and offerings for the service. The box itself is based loosely on the Sky+ box in the UK which gets rave reviews from the likes of What Hifi (it's probably also the reason that for the most part the new HD content is from UK Channels).

The pricing is by no means cheap but when compared with the price of getting a new HD PVR (~$1000) it's not completely hideous. I'm not sure if I'll jump just yet and by the looks of the reports it could be a long time coming if I do....

1 comment:

Unknown said...

My install is booked in for June 3. Perfect timing since I just got the Epson 1080p projector too! WOOOO!!! Makes me glad I skipped the IQ altogether and headed straight for IQ2.