Saturday, July 30, 2005

Unusual interest in survival

I've never been a big fan of the survival game(or movie) genre. I just never really got into it. This is especially so in with the Resident Evil franchise. I'd seen the first incarnation of the series on the GameCube and it never impressed me. The controls looked kind of clunky and the aspect made it look difficult to see anything.

However, Resident Evil 4 has really sparked my interest. After a few incredibly high reviews from Gamespy, Palgn and IGN with comments such as "The best graphics on any console so far" I'm putting firmly at the top of my list of wanted games.

Admittedly it was watching a couple of in game video footage that sealed the deal for me. The game seemed to flow so smoothly from live action to cut scene that it presented a cinematic gaming experience.

From IGN
There are no pre-rendered sequences in Resident Evil 4, but you wouldn't know it
when watching the opening cinematic, which quickly and conveniently brings you
up-to-date on the situation. Always a stickler for presentation, Capcom has
really outdone itself with this game, going the extra mile to deliver you truly
gorgeous, beautifully choreographed cut-scenes that drive the story. What's
more, because these sequences all use the game engine, they're seamless.
The only problem is with the lack of Gamecube support in the Austalian market finding a copy to buy is a almost impossible task.

No comments: