Saturday, July 30, 2005

The strange world of pop culture

I was browsing through a Video game store today trying to see if there were any new title's of interest on my floundering console the GameCube. Tucked away on the bottom two shelves of the Gameboy advance stand were a smattering of old titles. Still no sign of Resident Evil 4 a game recieving rave reviews (including quotes such as 'the most accomplished graphics across all consoles... ever' looks like my favorite little black box is going the way of the N64. However, back to why I started this post, I had a brief glance over the DS titles where I spied Nintendogs sitting on the coming soon shelf. As I picked up one of three versions on the shelf one of the assistants confronted me with the notion "That's going to be a huge game for the DS!". What is it about disposable pets that's so appealing. In the late nineties it was the Tamagotchi and the Furby that were the must have items. Has our society become so "convenient" that we have on demand and customisable pets to carry around in our pockets? Is it at the point where consoles are reliant on the "cutes" of patting a dog with a stylus to make a break? I think although it is one of the only "games" to fully utilise the DS interface I won't be rushing out for this one. Anyway I better get back to it, I'm sure it's about time to train the pokemon or feed the neopets.

No comments: