Tuesday, July 26, 2005

The irony of commercial radio

It's rare that I'm listening to a station other than triplej but on my way home I was station surfing (because my MD deck in the car has stopped reading discs all together, but that's another story). I stumbled across one of the marginally less main stream stations and the were playing the latest single by Brisbane band 'Butterfingers'. They have a very catchy Australian brand Hip Hop , often with very funky back beats. They made it into the hottest 100 last year with 'Yo Mama'. But I digress, the radio station was attempting to play 'FIGJAM' (if you can remember back to school you'll work out what it means) the trouble is with the nature of 'Butterfingers' lyrics they ended up cutting out more of the song than they played. If you going to play the song you're likely to offend your listener base regardless whether you blank out the swearing or not. You may as well play a warning, leave the song intact and just enjoy the awesome wordplay... Oh well enough ranting, back to triplej.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You don't happen to have a copy of 'Yo Mama' do you? And when does the next hottest 100 come out?

Anonymous said...

Sorry, it's Ben who asked.

Unknown said...

Yes I do have a copy of 'Yo Mama'. It's on the latest Hottest 100 (Volume 12) which is already out.