Thursday, March 29, 2012

An Epic Commute (in pictures)

Yesterday I took on a bit of a crazy task... trying to commute to work in Brisbane form the Gold Coast, more specifically the far end of the coast at Tugun (almost at the New South Wales border). Mostly it was a chance to get another training ride in preparation for the Midi Smiddy ride in June, because finding time to fit in 100km+ rides is hard.

I set out pretty early figuring I'd need at least 4 hours to get there even when my aim was to average over 30km/h. So at 4:20am in the complete dark I took off. I took my Malvern Star Sportif mainly because it was a commute to work and I needed to take my normal work gear with me.

Here's a few photos I snapped along the way (I would have had a few more but my phone went flat)
The quiet roads at 4:30am
Sunrise heading over the hills at Nerang

Passing Movieworld
The long bike lane ahead

Picturesque Pimpama
Watching the traffic roll by at Beenleigh

The sportif after its long commute


All in all it was a pretty good journey with only one car being silly and trying to scare me near Burleigh and a truck deciding it didn't need to give way to me on a roundabout. It was pretty hard work, started to get cramps about the 100km mark but was a fun way to get to work...


No comments: