Saturday, January 31, 2009

Tasmania: Gluten Free goodness, Spelunking and the Targa

The trip to Tasmania has come with some good surprises. Last night we stumbled across a floating fish and chip store in Huonville that was a haven of gluten free goodness. They did almost everything gluten free, there was so much choice I ended up having 2 dinners. Ness ordered me a hamburger and crumbed fish AND crumbed calimari all gluten free. There was even a selection of gluten free desserts. The food was fantastic, some of best Fish and Chips ever. 

Today we set out for some spelunking at the Hastings caves. There wasn't much warning with regards to how cold it was on the brochure. To start with it was actually a cold day (as compared to to the hottest day on record we had yesterday), the 9 degrees in the cave though was a bit of a different story. I think something more than shorts and a tshirt would have been a good start. Fortunately Zach had plenty of clothes so he was rugged up (beenie and all) ready for spelunking. The caves were great and the Gorillapod came through with some great cave shots, not to mention the Pentax's performance (unfortunately I'm still on GPRS so the photos will have to wait until I come back).

On the way home, we managed to join a (non competition) stage of the Targa and weaved our way home between some 911s and WRXs. The stage went past our B&B so I took the Pentax out for some more shots. Fortunately there were still quite a few cars behind us so I got a couple of nice photos.

Tonight we were down to the last of the recommended restuarants in town, the local pub. I was pretty suprised at the meal (to start with it was HUGE) and it was a really good steak as well. They had some pretty impressive desserts as well, but I'm still holding out for another slice of GF Cheesecake from the Huon House Boat Fish and chips store.

It's been a really good weekend away and the Watson's B&B in Huonville has been outstanding, I would recommend it to anyone wanting to stay just outside Hobart.

I think I'm going to end the night with some Port and Cheesecake, while the others are playing cards.

No comments: