Friday, January 23, 2009

Feel the Ebay Love

Yesterday a few (4 to be exact) packages made it to our house, 1 for Zach, 1 for Ness and 2 for me. Both of the big ebay purchase had arrived at the same day. First off, I picked up a set of speakers for the TV, I decided to go for something powered so I didn't have to mess around with multizone on the Sony (which confuses my harmony no end) or add another amp to my already overcrowded media cabinet. After a bit of searching I decided on the Cygnett Unison i-X5 or the Wharfedale Pro 8.1. Fortunately I found the i-X5 on ebay for less that half price (more than $250 off RRP). When they arrived yesterday, I was amazed to see them sealed in the original box with all the original (and unopened) packaging.

It's a very simple hookup, I'm letting the TV do all the audio switching and I'm simply taking the output from the headphone jack and plugging it into the Line in on the i-X5, that way the TV still controls the volume and audio selection.

I'm really impressed with the sound, even at high volumes very clear and tight. A little on the bass heavy side (as most of the reviews say) but that's quite good for most TV applications.

Onto the second toy for the day a new lens. The big thing that I'd missed coming to the Pentax from my Fuji Bridge camera was the Zoom. After not very much searching I stumbled across 28-200 Sigma Zoom on ebay. First impressions are very good. It gives me the lens convinence back (even with some macro capability) and the shots are still great.
From Sigma Zoom
Shot of the speakers at full zoom, taken from the same location as the shot above.
From Sigma Zoom
Macro shot of my Nokia 6110 Nav

I'm going to take the camera out with me today and take some shots in the afternoon, I'll post up some more then.

No comments: