Tuesday, September 02, 2008

San Francisco, Day 2 - a HUGE DAY

Today I had planned to do some shopping and tour a few other parts of the city. I started off catching the cable car to a few of the other spots around the city. My tip for the cable car is don't wait for it at the change points, every time I was at a change point the lines were really long. If you walk up about a block or two they will pick you up 9 times out of 10 and no queue.

I jumped off at China Town and had a bit of a meander before I jumped on another cable down to fisherman's wharf. Despite just about everywhere being sold out of tickets for Alcatraz, I thought I'd give it one last shot and at least do a cruise. After a fair bit of wandering around I managed to find a street vendor with a spare ticket which was fabulous, the downside of course was that because they were in such high demand I did get a little ripped off and had to buy a ticket for another cruise around the bay. Still, it was less than the $75 I was quoted yesterday and I got the bonus cruise.

Unfortunately this meant a fair bit of time out on the water and... in the sun. The first cruise was pretty good and I ended up with some great views of the bridge (and a chance to play with my fish eye lens). The cruise got back just in enough time to check out the seals and pier 39 before heading to The Rock.

The tour round Alcatraz was fantastic, one of the best audio guides I've ever used. It ended up being over 90 mins long but the time just flies by.

I finally made it out to Pleasanton tonight (about 9pm local time) after catching the last ferry back from the rock and cable car-ing it back to my hotel.

I'm a bit on the tired side so I'm going to leave it there... more photos up as well.

No comments: