Monday, September 18, 2006

What a day....

Huge day today, despite all the urges to stay in bed for another few hours after a great movie night at Valavien's place, I managed to drag myself out to singing in the morning. After a few somewhat schizophrenic performance ranging from 2nd 'tenor to 1st alto and everywhere in between Ness and I headed up the coast on a whirl wind tour to Tewantin (Noosa) to pick up a cool retro (see Kartell era) vinyl stand that I manage to win on ebay yesterday.

It was a pretty fine close time frame having to be back in Brisbane for some more singing by 5pm. Fortunately, after leaving at 12:30 and it taking about 2 hours to get to our destination and a quick spot of lunch we managed to make it back in pretty quick time and get back by 4:45. so I still managed to make it to singing (for a slightly more singular performance than the morning) even with a coffee stop on the way.

On a side note, my Dell laptop is a nightmare for flights. I'm on my way to Townsville as I write this (and no I'm not hooked up to the net as I fly I'll be posting it once I land) and it's hardly an ideal situation. The Dell has a 17" widescreen display so it's great for movies but typing this blog is hardly comfortable. It's a 10pm flight so that's going to make me cranky to start with (even ducking out of singing early I still couldn't make the earlier flight) The guy in front of me (despite coughing up for the extra leg room seats) has his seat as far back as it will go and I'm currently pushing the keyboard into my lap and looking down the face of the screen at some oddly acute angle. To top it off the flight is completely packed and I'm in a middle seat. I've got my arms jammed into my side so I can reach the keys and not jab the people sitting next to me (although the guy in the aisle seat seems to be falling asleep in my direction so that could get messy shortly). The plan was to get a bit of work done on the plane on the way up so I could have a bit of an easy start to the day tomorrow, but it looks like that plan is well and truly shot.

Ok the snoring is going to be the last straw! It's a 2 hour flight! If you can't sleep in the up right position sleep when you get home…

I'd switch to the DS but I haven't charged it since the Meroaid session I had on the weekend so it would only last about 5-10 mins and end up frustrating me more than not having it.

Back to the good aspects of the day (I apologize for the Caitlin style stream of consciousness but I'm trying to pass the time on the flight and the laptop is all I have) had a great trip in MinX today. I was impressed ata the noise levels even at 110km/h with the top down. The weather was a bit of a turn around from the last couple of wet and miserable days. There was a little bit of cloud cover today but on the whole it was a beautiful clear day. Clocked about 300km for the afternoon and the little red gem didn't miss a beat, in fact it feels more at home on the highway at 110km/h that it does running around the inner city rat runs.

We tried for a dinner out tonight which almost ended in disaster. Went to Ice bar for a steak about 7:50 , ordered about 8 and didn't get the meal until after 8:45.They were quite apologetic about the length of time and we got a couple of extra wines out of it but I was on a pretty tight schedule so I really needed the food to be quicker rather than knocking back a few more glasses Fortunately the cab was on the door about 5 mins after I called it and I made it to the flight still in time to board. After all the wine though I'm a bit on the tipsy side so the flight has been a bit on the spinning side of things… The desent was paticularly fun with the continually feeling of "butterflies"!

There has been some good gadget news this week but with all the hype for the Wii I'm still trying to catch up on all the other tech gossip. The most notable ones for me was the new projectors released from Panasonic to replace with AE900. The TH-AX100 720p home theater projector, which boasts 2000 lumens of brightness at a 6000:1 contrast ratio and 1280x720 resolution along with HDMI, component or S-Video connections. The big plus is the 2000 lumens which is 900 more than the AE900, other than that it looks to be a very similar model. Still lagging behind the Hitachi TX200 in terms of contrast a little but with an image that much brighter I doubt anyone is going to complain. The other projector is a completely different story PT-AE1000U is a full 1080p projector with a brightness level of 1,100 lumens packing an amazing 11,000:1 contrast ratio! It's rumoured to be available in late November or early December for under US$6,000, but there is no pricing on the AX100 yet.

Anway I made it to Townsville safe and sound though and will have to sign off for the evening as it's almost 1am and I've got an early start tomorrow.

No comments: