Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Crawling through the back catalogue

I haven't blogged for a while (as with Ben and Mick) one of the problems is working what to blog about (other than the fact that I'm travelling... it's hardly news any more). The other problem is trying to find time to do it. I've been clocking in a lot of over time so sitting in front of my PC to blog hasn't been high on my list. But here we are... so... the blogging...

With all the travel I've got in the coming months I've been working on some gaming to do to fill in the hours away from home. I considered taking the new console to the family (the Xbox 360) with me but it's weight and bulk are too much to carry back and forth on a plane every week. I have the DS with me obviously but was looking for some gaming not just on the small screen. Due to it's small form factor I packed the PS2 with me. I haven't played much on the PS2 , I bit of God of War 2 for a review and some (PSOne) NFL Blitz with Tom. So there is plenty of PS2 gaming out there to be had.

Playing through the back catalog of games certainly has it's merits. First of all I looked up all the titles with reviews of 8/10 or more and started working down the list. As a result I've picked up Grand Theft Auto III and Prince of Persia: Sands of Time for the princely (pun intended) sum of $20 (combined). Both are great games and have clocked a few hours in both. As far as the graphics are concerned they certainly fall short of the 360 but on a 34cm TV it's hardly a concern. I'd never played any of the GTA series, my closest exposure was it's poorer cousin True Crime: Streets of LA. GTAIII is quite addictive, my driving skills need some improvement but it's a lot of fun. There are plenty more in the series (still at cheap prices) to go and that's even before the new GTAIV is released (something I wouldn't have considered on the 360 until now).

On the home gaming front I've been quite addicted to Oblivion on the 360. It's a great implementation of a Traditional RPG on a console, it's a pity the prequel Morrowind wasn't a PS2 game otherwise it would have been one of the first titles I picked up. I was tempted by Everquest on the PS2 (along with WoW on my Laptop, but I'm not crazy) for some RPG love but the ongoing subscription and net usages have put me off so far.

The DS won't be left out though. One of my favourite titles from the GBA and the initial DS (PHAT) was the Advance Wars Series. The latest incarnation Advance Wars: Days of Ruin has just popped up on Play Asia and straight to my order's list. The thing I'm most looking forward to is the Online Battles (with voice chat) a disappointing omission from the first title.

Other than that I almost dipped into the HD Format with a combined player but managed to talk myself out of it (Thanks Ness)

Well that's enough procrastination for one night... back to the overtime

No comments: