Friday, October 05, 2007

Cinque Terre

Ciao - Vanessa today.
 
Firstly, I need to point our that I am recovering from a head cold, without the assistance of cold and flu drugs. It's not something I'd recommend. Still, I wasn't in the mood to try that much italian last night.
 
Today we have walked 75% (50% of them twice) of the coastal tracks of the Cinque Terre. It was great fun, and we really enjoyed it. Overall, I have to say that if you have a cold, then having one here is bearable. There are 4 tracks - two easy and two hard. We did two easy and one hard before we needed lunch; after lunch, we decided that the final track will have to wait for next time. Instead, we caught the train to the last town, Monterossa, and had ice cream.
 
On the way up to Cornigela, we discovered the most stairs that we've had to do in one go - 382. There's a congratulations sign at the top. There's also an ambulance. I have to say taht I was surprised at some of the people attempting the harder tracks - its was challenging for us, and fitness and age is on our side.
 
I had anchovies for lunch - not the horrible tinned type, the fresh, caught that day type. They were very good. Cameron had meat, and minestrone soup, which were also nice. The litre of wine we drank at lunch probably didn't help our walking either.
 
Tomorrow we head off to Firenze, to enjoy the art and everything that is there. Cameron is getting better with my preferred levels of detail ... we don't have train reservations yet and he isn't even worried!!
 
Vanessa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Firenze is great, I think it was one of my favourite places. I think that's where I had this great cornbread for breakfast everyday. Maybe I should see if someone I know has the negatives still so I can get the photos from when I was there. Have an awesome time!

Andrew H

Anonymous said...

Hurrah Florence!!!