Sunday, April 16, 2006

Embarrassing Easter.

I had the worst/most embarrassing trip to the beach over the Easter weekend ever!
  • Got dumped and knocked out by my board
  • Came to in a rip a long way from the shore without a board having swallowed a lot
  • Board made it back to the beach without me...
  • Struggled to make it back against the rip only to make it back as far as the second break
  • Made it as far as a bank to have it collapse underneath me.
  • Got swamped a few more times.
  • Just couldn't ever get my breath back after being out under the water and swallowing so much of it.
  • Got picked up on a long board by my Dad (lucky he went out with me)semi conscious
  • Collapsed on beach
  • Came to surrounded by life guards and TV cameras
  • Ambulance then Neck brace then Spinal board and off to hospital
  • Cat scans and then kept in for observation!
What an Easter.... at least I made it back to blog about it! Can't believe I made it as a Surf statistic.

Thanks to all the people who helped me on the beach, the guys that called the ambos and the life savers. I never made it conscious enough to find out to who you were, but my biggest thanks to you!

Also huge thanks to my Dad you made it out to get me.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, just a regular reader thanks to my sister. Just wanted to say that I hope your OK - I've been stuck in rips before and they're horrible when you HAVEN'T been knocked out so I can't even begin to imagine what you went through.

Just want to ask, at any stage where you panicking, or did you not really have a chance? You were just in survival mode and the "got to get back to shore" bit.

And I hope you're OK now!

Kelly