Saturday, April 30, 2005

Red Project

After discovering (to my great disappointment) that the restoration of my Beogram 4002 was no longer economically viable I restarted my search for a red turntable. The obvious choice was a red version of Pro-ject's multi award winning Debut III turntable. The Debut Series has been awarded 5 stars by What Hi-fi and reviewed well in Hi-Fi Choice.

Having tried most retailers around Brisbane that stocked Pro-ject turntables and having no success I turn to the Manufacturer, who I have to say couldn't have been more helpful.

Pro-ject put me in touch with the Australian distributor International Dynamics who informed me that they could order a red version of the turntable on their next shipment. The only reason they aren't brought into Australia is that the retailers won't risk having a turntable of each colour on hand so they don't order any colours.

Once they'd placed the order with Pro-ject they contacted my closest retailer and arranged pick and payment from their store. The price was also quite reasonable, RRP for a standard black table is $399 and I was expecting quite a significant difference to this as the coloured versions retail for more than black in the UK. It was a pleasant surprise to discover that the price would only be $449.

The only painful part of the process now is waiting for it to arrive, as there are none in Australia I have to wait for the next shipment out from the UK which could be a month away, but all in all it's a small price to pay.

So if you're looking for a new turntable and want one to match your decor I would highly recommend getting in touch with International Dynamics.

No comments: