Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Beogram 4002 Stylus Time


My B&O Beogram 4002 is in a sorry state. I bought it a while ago for a pretty good price knowing full well that the stylus was in pretty bad shape. I'd done my research and spoken to B&O who had informed me that I could get a new stylus for a pretty reasonable price. Unfortunately about a day after I'd picked up the turntable I received an email from B&O informing that they'd made a mistake and they no longer produced the MMC 20EN stylus.

Not disuaded I browsed the internet to try and find a replacement. As I've now discovered there are very few places that actually make the part (actually that would be one place). At the time I found Sound Smith had bought the rights to reproduce new styli to B&O specification.
The exact replacement sells for $279.95US plus shipping which at the time was about 3 times the price I'd payed for the turntable. With the current exchange rate it's not so bad and I've decided it's time to bite the bullet.

Especially when it received reviews like this :-

Bang & Olufsen BEOGRAM 4002 with a tangantial tone arm and an elliptical
stylus cartridge. One of the best for a quality 33's and 45's LP reproduction.

1 comment:

Tom N-S Technical Blog said...

So have you ordered it already ?

That is a big hit I am impressed with the fact you have gone through
with it.

Tom