Monday, June 11, 2012

Worst new tyre record ever.

So I attempted to give "Frank" a bit of love as it's now my go to bike while the kestrel is away getting assessed for its frame crack. I got some new tyres, and given the color scheme went for all white. I picked vittorias specifically the zaffino pros. It had previously been running the non pro version of the tyre and they had comfortably handled the trip up Arthur's seat and 2/3s of the Midi Smiddy.

The zaffino pros however haven't fared so well. My previous record for a flat (specifically from something that breached the tyre, not a pinch or faulty tube) was held by a brand new GP4000s which had managed a mammoth 10km before hissing like a cranky cobra. That record today was smashed by the Vittoria Zaffino pro which travelled just 5.7km before exposing my tube to the elements. It's a pretty decent cut too (photo attached).

The rest of the ride was a debacle as well with the rest of my tubes failing at which point we carried the bike to the coffee shop had a coffee and headed to the ferry for the "ride" home. Fortunately a patch kit donation saved me the embarrassment of having to carry "frank" home, after carrying it the length of southbank. I can say though the bike really quite helpful.

Big thanks to Myles who stuck with me in possibly the most eventful and shortest ride in history.

No comments: