Tuesday, July 21, 2009

My Top 5 Brisbane CBD Gluten Free Lunches

As I wandered off for lunch yesterday that it's often hard to find good places for lunch if you're looking for something with a little less gluten. I've been working in the Brisbane CBD for a few weeks now and I've stumbled across a few so I thought I'd make a list of my favourite place to grab a bite in the city during the week.

This is my first choice for a lunch out in the city, they have a great selection of premade gluten free sandwiches (that you can get toasted) for $6.50. They come in a pair and have a range of different fillings each day. They also have a great selection of GF cakes and slices and will make Coffee's with Lactose free milk
Fav Lunch: Chicken Caeser Sandwich - $6.50
Fav Snack: Peanut Caramel Slice - $4.50

These guys are really close and make fabulous coffee. They usually have a couple of Gluten free options on for the day and have a great selection of cakes and nibbles. Be prepared for a little wait though, their coffee is so good there is usually a line out the door to get one.
Fav Lunch: Breakfast Quiche
Fav Snack: Caramel Cheesecake

Extract Espresso Bar

It's a bit hard to find tucked away on Adelaide st but these guys have a great selection of the Gluten Free Topless Tarts and will often have bread to make up sandwiches with.
Fav Lunch: Spinach Risotto
Fav Snack: Lemon Polenta Cake

Spoon Deli (Festival Towers)

I haven't been down this end of town for ages but this used to be a good staple for my weekday lunches, they have lots of the sol breads in stock and lots of biscuit selections
Fav Lunch: chickpea fritter W coriander and yoghurt $8.50
Fav Snack: Gingerbread man

And my fast food option Nandos

This one is for when I'm feeling like a 'bad' lunch, a trip to nandos is on order, their menu has a list of all the items with Gluten in them (the opposite to everyone else).
Fav Lunch: Chicken Steak
Fav Snack: Spicy Rice

2 comments:

Dom said...

Thanks for this, I had been using the Cool Beans and Baguettes on George St, but their sandwiches are not pre-made, will give Brisbane Square a go.

Vege-Rama in the Myer Centre food court also have GF options and great prices, their GF menu has reduced to what it was but they are always busy which is a good sign.

Also in the same food court one of the kebab stores near Red Rooster do a GF greek salad with fetta or halloumi - yum!

I have found Nandos to be very risky, their griddle is coated in basting sauce so cross-contamination is a bog problem. If you are happy taking the risk the chicken paella is a good feed!

Unknown said...

Hi Dom,

I'm also trying to do another blog (although I'm running a bit behind) on GLuten Free in Brisbane.

http://glutenfreebne.blogspot.com/