Tuesday, March 01, 2005

ADSL speeds on the increase

Following on from my Confusion on Connection Speeds I've been looking around at other broadband choices to see if I can get better value from my hard earned dollars. As it turns out there has been a bit of news on the ADSL front.

First of all TELSTRA has begun upgrading its ADSL equipment to deliver internet services at speeds up to 16 times faster than are currently available.

The article from The Australia goes on to say...
Telstra spokesperson Patrick O'Beirne said the carrier expected to install DSL
equipment capable of up to 24Mbps in all exchanges by mid-2006.
The new equipment would support the next-generation ADSL2+ standard, expected to be ratified by the Australian Communication Industry Forum later this year, Mr
O'Beirne said.
Unfortunately they haven't set a date when plans on the new equipment would be available to the public.

Also iiNet annouced their acquisition of Ozemail. Currently I get my net through Ozemail and was looking around for a more economical option for the speeds that were provided. The advantage with iiNet is their iibroadband2. iibroadband2 plans on the iinet broadband network (DSLAMs) can reach speeds of up to 8000k! All this for less than I pay on Ozemail.

So here's hoping there is an easy transfer process :)

No comments: