Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Airplay disappointments.

I'm not normally a forum/comment complainer but I'd consider it after today's disappointing iOS update. I was pretty excited about the possibilities of airplay and how it would aid some nice touches to my home theatre setup, especially when another iPad/iPhone user dropped round and wanted to show off something on my lounge room tv.

I've been running with an appletv as the centre of my media setup for some time and it's been such a success we dropped our cable tv subscription and almost never tune into a regular commercial station. When they announced that the old appletv wasn't going to receive any updates after the release of the gen 2 I was hoping that we would still be able to do airplay from the iDevices (especially the airplay icon works from my iMac). However after the release today it's obvious this support is only for the new appletv which I'm not really interested in cross grading too.

The new appletv doesn't suit the australian market very well with it's rent only interface for a store with few rentable movies and no rentable tv shows. This fact combined with the stream only option which means my iMac has to be powered on to watch any content rules me out.

I'd like to be able to run airplay but it's not a deal breaker. In reality it's a requirement I only had after it existed. It's disappointing that those who were loyal to the old apple home entertainment tech have missed out on some of their nicest new features but have to sacrifice features to upgrade.

End rant here.
Sent from my iPhone

2 comments:

Unknown said...

The best thing about this post is the last line: Sent from my iPhone :)

Dr J said...

I'm with you as a supporter an avid user of the old appletv, I did consider upgrading but agree it's not worth losing features for. And yes our iTunes purchasing store is very ordinary in oz , which I found out this week as stieg larsson pt2 is available for purchase on DVD but it is yet to make an appearance on iTunes after 3 more days. Very ordinary!