Tuesday, August 24, 2010

The death of Foxtel (at my house)

Last month after much deliberating I decided to drop my foxtel subscription. This was probably a long time overdue as almost everything we were watching was from abc kids or was on the AppleTV. With the recent addition of atvflash making it vey simple to add DVDs I already owned to my instant access library the foxtel iQ2 was lucky to get turned on.

With my subscription dropped I've moved the funds normally allocated to that to iTunes vouchers (either US or AUS) hopefully when they are on sale. The reality of this is that $100+ per month equates to more than we can watch in a month even at the sometimes inflated iTunes prices for shows. I'm still running on the $100 US credit I bought 2 months ago and there are plenty of episodes of Stargate: Universe or DollHouse to go. The key for me however is having the US account not only for the additional content available but also for the availability of TV in HD which the AUS store doesn't offer.

The only real loser in the whole equation are the lifestyle watchers in the house due to the lack of shows on iTunes. I have a cunning plan however to enlist the help of a certain relative currently in the UK and setup another account with access to all the Channel 4 like 'location location location' and still be ahead of my foxtel subscription cost.

It is annoying that all this content isn't available on each store and it's yet another reason why it's easier to be a pirate than actually purchase digital media. It's something that the digital distributers need to address if they ever have a hope of reducing the piracy levels.

Sent from my iPad

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I have just got rid of all my credit on the australian itunes account I have ....