Monday, February 08, 2010

Biking, a little one and a semi review of the Townie

Since he was about 6 months old our little one has been fascinated by bicycles. Doesn't seem to matter what type, he just wants to go and see what it's all about. He can spot a cyclist on a bike long before any one else does. The obvious solution to this was to get a bike and baby seat and take him for rides. We bought an Electra townie and appropriate seat and have since spent many hours cruising around the bike paths along the river.

So here is the townie semi-review:
I've had the townie for almost 6 months now and it's fantastic. It's actually become my preferred bike to ride. This is especially the case if I'm not in a hurry. There is something extremely relaxing about crusing around on it. It's certainly more work on the hills and while you can make to to +25km/h on the flat it's no cake walk. Somehow none of it seems to matter when you're riding a townie. It always makes me want to kick back, feel the wind and enjoy the scenery. It's never going to be the bike for you if you're going to spend the weekend claiming hills or heading up the peloton in the next road run, but as enjoyable way to get from A to B I can't recommend it enough.

Now back to the rest of this brain dump. After being at day care last week someone has a new found love for riding on bikes. The small trikes in the centre are the number one pick each day. So I renewed my search for the first cycle for him. I'd always intended to get him a Hudora Joey from My First Bike, but I spotted this awesome pre-bike from wishbone.
It seems like the perfect design, a trike to start with the option to change it to a balance bike when he's a bit older. Now all I need is a reason to give it to him, his birthday seems such a long way away.

No comments: