Monday, December 22, 2008

Some TV Speakers...

I know, didn't I just get 7.1 going? How could I need any more speakers?!?

Since we got the TV we've been toying with idea of some speakers to increase the sound quality (I say we, because although I want them Ness suggested it first). It's not the the TV speakers are un-listen-able but when you swap from the TV to either the Tivoli or worse still the Jamos it's very noticeable difference.

I've been looking at a couple of options, either running something from the Zone 2 output of the Sony or some separate powered speakers. I decided to look at some powered speakers and run them from the output of the TV simply because the looping everything out and back in through the amp was just going to be too many points of failure when the Harmony was involved, with surround modes, sub setup changes and listening position settings.

I started looking at some high end computer speakers, specifically (as much as I hate to admit it) the Bose Computer MusicMonitors. While I normally prescribe to Bose philosophy (Buy Other Sound Equipment) these seemed to fit the bill with pretty small form factor but decent enough sound. Their real problem was the exorbitant cost. I continued searching and I stubled across what I thought was the ideal set, Wharfedale Pro Diamond 8.1. I loved the old Wharfdale setup that I used to have and missed the sound of music tracks they produced in comparison to the Jamos (although the Wharfedales just can't compete in the movie front). These are the same speaker setup with an Active Bi-amp design with 60W LF and 40W HF power.

Yesterday however I was swayed with yet another set of amplified speakers, this time from an iPod Dock. The Cygnett Unison i-X5 iPod speakers.

No prizes for why these drew my attention... :)
They are an Australian designed speaker and (even in a black finish) look stunning. They are also (most importantly) no slouch in the audio department. With a number of reviews holding them in high regard
In the end it will come down to price, the Wharfedales will probably sound better (although not red) but are 200+ more than the Cygnetts.
Only time will tell (and by then I'll probably have found something else)

No comments: